The Junior League of Summit (JLS) is built on the pillar belief that women can build better communities. We have been the driving force behind initiatives and institutions that make our community a healthier, more vital place to live. Junior League members reflect a wide range of backgrounds, interests, and professional pursuits, work together to identify unmet needs, forge effective coalitions, and implement change. Time and time again, the JLS is one of the first organizations to tackle our community's biggest challenges.
The JLS is committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. With your collaboration, we continue to impact the lives of children and families in our service areas of Berkeley Heights, Chatham, New Providence, and Summit.
Our current focus area centers on supporting non-profits and improving children's lives, with an emphasis on providing relief for those facing food insecurity. This is an exciting initiative which we hope you will be a part of. This year provides another opportunity to seek financial assistance from the JLS. This year we will be awarding approximately $12,000 in grants. While there is no predetermined individual grant request cap, the grant fund is limited and we will consider partial funding of projects.
All Community Grant requests must meet the following criteria:
- Requesting organizations must provide documentation of 501 (c)(3) or other tax exempt status.
- We encourage the submission of applications for projects in line with our focus areas of service.
- Organizations are limited to one grant during a fiscal year. Priority in grants will be given to organizations who have not received a grant in the previous year.
- Funds are not available for individual scholarships or endowment funds.
- Funds are not available for general operating expenses (including salary, overhead, and rent) of established ongoing programs, except in instances when the ongoing program is related to supporting local non-profits and improving children's lives.
Grants awarded by the Junior League of Summit are intended to:
- Effect positive community change.
- Provide seed money for start-up programs and projects.
- Promote voluntarism through partnerships with local organizations and the JLS.
- Promote, when appropriate, collaboration among community groups.
- Support organizations whose volunteers include JLS members.
- Include a partnership opportunity for JLS volunteers to participate directly with the requesting organization to assist in implementing project(s) for which grant monies are awarded.
The deadline for this year's grant applications has now passed. Please do not hesitate to contact the JLS office with any questions.
Shannon Dalpe, Chairwoman
JLS Community Assistance Committee
37 DeForest Avenue
Summit, New Jersey 07901
Congratulations to last year's JLS grant recipients!
Over the years, the JLS has provided support to many community organizations through grants. This year the JLS awarded over $24,000 across thirteen organizations:
Bridges Outreach, Calvary Episcopal Church, Community Service Association of New Providence, Continue Arts Foundation, Family Promise, Imagine New Jersey, New Providence Education Foundation, Reeves-Reed Arboretum, SAGE Eldercare, Summit Speech School, Summit Community Programs, The Connection, and Visual Arts Center of New Jersey
Grant applications are posted on our website each year on September 1. Deadline for completed applications is November 1.